In today’s fast-paced, highly competitive business environment, it’s more important than ever to retain your talented employees. But with so many great companies out there, how do you keep your all-stars on your team? Various sources offer a range of suggestions, but we think these three focus areas are a great place to start.
1. Interaction – Engage and Be Real
Employees want to know that management is interested in the work they do, their thoughts and concerns, and their overall well-being. Show them that you genuinely care.
Engage with your employees through conversations and listen to what they have to say. You never know what might spark the next great idea for your company.
Be present in conversations. Consciously block out workplace distractions and personal to-do lists to truly focus on the employee.
Show appreciation for the work they do, and whenever possible, give them an opportunity to see the results of their hard work and how it helps achieve the goals and mission of the company.
2. Environment – Shake Things Up
Most people enjoy a little change now and then to break from the everyday, and changes in the physical environment often enhance creative thinking.
- Make work more fun: incorporate games and contests into business objectives.
- Give employees the opportunity to spend time with their coworkers outside the office: a day of volunteering, an office outing, an employee appreciation meal or event, even a meeting or brainstorming session away from the office can boost the comradery, creativity and productivity of your team.
- Surprise your office by bringing in breakfast or a catered lunch.
3. Perks and Incentives – Reward Them With Convenience
While employees generally appreciate monetary incentives, think outside the box to make a lasting impression by providing employees with a memorable experience.
- Provide nontraditional incentives: working from home, flexible schedules.
- Provide office coffee or pantry services for your employees to keep them energized throughout the day.
- Partner with local retailers to offer discount or loyalty programs to employees.
- Transform your traditional break area into an Avenue C micro-market to expand their snacking, dining and beverage options.
- Partner with local service providers, such as a dry cleaner or car wash, to offer services to employees while they work, helping them save time and gas.