Vending Jobs: Tips for Online Job Searching
Jobs in the vending and foodservice industries can be incredibly rewarding, especially if you find a job that’s the right fit for you. If you’re looking for jobs in vending or foodservice, we’ve compiled the top tips for online job searching to help you get started.
Before your search:
- Update your resume and cover letter: Your resume should be clean, straightforward, and up to date with your most recent positions and skills. Have someone proofread both documents with careful attention to detail to avoid any grammar or spelling errors, which can be red flags to potential employers. When you apply, your resume and cover letter should be customized for each position you apply for, and that process will be much easier and less time-consuming if your resume is at a good starting point.
- Update your LinkedIn profile: LinkedIn is an increasingly relevant resource for job seekers and employers alike. By including your skills, recent positions, references, and recommendations all in one place, you make it easier for an interested employer to find out what they want to know about you. Information on your LinkedIn profile should be consistent with what’s included on your resume.
- Get connected: If you have specific companies or industries in your sights, you should form connections wherever possible. Follow prospective employers and industry groups on Twitter, like their Facebook pages, and join any applicable LinkedIn groups. Canteen is on Facebook and LinkedIn, and there are a number of vending and automatic merchandising industry groups you may also want to join.
When searching for jobs online:
- Refine your job search: Most jobs are listed on multiple job sites, and hundreds of applicants could be applying to one position. In order to put your time and energy to best use, you should be selective. Focus on finding positions in your desired geographical location, and don’t waste time looking or applying for positions that you aren’t actually interested in or qualified for.
- Set up email alerts: You can set up email alerts with job-search sites, or directly through many companies. By signing up with Canteen’s Search Agent online recruiting tool, for example, you can receive alerts when positions that fit your qualifications and preferences become available. In a competitive job market, open positions come and go quickly, and if you can’t constantly monitor online job postings, email alerts are a great way to stay informed.
- Apply: As mentioned, your resume and cover letter should be tailored for each position that you apply for. When ready to apply, closely follow submission instructions for each position. Some companies will ask that you upload a PDF file within their job portal, while others will request that you include your resume and cover letter in the body of an email; either way, make sure you follow instructions.
- Be persistent: With the number of applications being submitted for every position, it will never hurt to follow up if you haven’t heard back within a couple of weeks of submitting an application. Find the balance between being persistent without pestering any potential employers.
In the age of primarily online job searching, finding the right job can seem daunting. Not only do you need to sort through many job postings to find those that you’re qualified for, apply early, and make your application stand out, but you need to make sure the position you apply for is one you’ll ultimately be happy with! If you’re driven, a team player, and passionate about the vending and foodservice industry, the position that’s right for you might be with Canteen. Explore our career website to find open positions in your area, and remember to check out our Resource Network Search Agent tool if there aren’t any positions available for you at this time.