Chef Nicole Smathers’s Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
A delicious hot cocoa cupcakes recipe from our Executive Chef, Nicole Smathers.
Nicole Smathers's Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
Cocoa mix cupcakes topped with chocolate frosting and marshmallows
- Cupcake pan
- Large mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups
- Cupcake liners
- Piping bag
- Star tip
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Cooking oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Hot cocoa mix
- 1 3.5 oz Chocolate pudding
- 2 sticks Butter softened
- 3-4 cups Powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp Heavy cream
- 3 tbsp Chocolate syrup
- Dehydrated marshmallow bits or mini marshmallows
Chocolate Cupcake Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking liners.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, water, eggs, and oil.
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer, mix on medium for 1 minute or until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Mix in the hot cocoa mix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
- In a large mixing bowl and using an electric or stand mixer, beat the butter on high for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the chocolate syrup.
- Add in the powdered sugar and chocolate pudding, alternating with the heavy cream until smooth and forms small, stiff peaks.
- Add frosting to the piping bag and frost cupcakes.
- Sprinkle it with marshmallow bits or min marshmallows.